Saturday, 30 May 2009

Spurn Point

The trip to Spurn Point on Friday was a bit of a let down, birds were outnumbered a million to one by poisonous furry caterpillars.

We met a nice lady who worked at one of the offices at the point, she was really helpful and filled us in on the area. From that point on it quickly went downhill fast, we could take no more than two steps without standing on a Tiger Moth caterpillar, they were everywhere. I wish we had seen this BBC Look North story before deciding to go.

Lifeboat
Spurn Lifeboat

Pilot Boat
Pilot Boat

We made it a short way down down the beach before Debbie started struggling, feeling unwell and she headed back to the car.

Spurn Point
Spurn Point

I kept going for another 5 minutes but decided to turn back, just as I turned round, I spotted something moving in the sea, a Seal!

Seal
Seal

Seal
Seal

The only decent shot of a bird I got was this one and I'm not even sure what it is, probably a Knot but my wader identification is a bit ropey.

Knot ?
Sanderling
Thank's to The Early Birder for the ID of this little brown wading job.

We left Spurn and headed for Flamborough which saved the day but that's another post.