Saturday, 18 June 2011

Down At The Meadow

We were thinking today was going to be a washout but it turned out quite nice so we popped over to the meadow to see how things were going there. The Burnet Moths have just started emerging, just the odd one or two here and there at the moment, they'll be all over the place in a few days time. Still no dragonflies or damsels, I think it was late on last year when we saw them. Spotted a Buzzard as soon as we arrived and a Kestrel was hunting around the meadow the whole time. Lucy was leaving a trail of jumping Grasshoppers as she wandered about in the long grass, managed to spot one or two as they landed. Surprise of the day has to be a hedgehog on a footpath, they must be getting hungry with all the dry weather.

Burnet Moths
Burnet Moths

Burnet Moth
Burnet Moth

Burnet Moth
Burnet Moth

Large Skipper Butterfly
Large Skipper Butterfly

Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Hedgehog
Hedgehog

After misplacing my binoculars, I think in Scotland on our honeymoon in 2004, I've finally replaced them. I've gone for Opticron 8x32 Orgen, small, light, close focusing and I love 'em!